Heard it on the radio?
The Homeless Trust is grateful to iHeart Radio for providing us airtime near Homeless Awareness Day to talk about the needs of Miami’s homeless. If you are here because you recently heard our radio commercials about ways to help, see below for the promised resources:
• Landlords wanting to help homeless veterans find housing, should contact: 305-499-VETS.
• If you want to volunteer to feed the homeless, email HADmiami@gmail.com and we will get you set up!
Homeless Awareness Day
Homeless Awareness Day is Florida’s premiere homeless event created to unify multiple communities under a theme of ending homelessness. Schools, churches, synagogues, government entities and non-profits come together to communicate that ending homelessness is solvable problem.
The event takes place in November each year and consists of nearly 75 different events and awareness programs. From a community-wide business breakfast, to school “Cardboard Brigades” to meter adoption ceremonies, the community steps up to participate and/or create their own events that help raise awareness of solutions and raise the voices of the needy.
There are many ways to participate:
- Join more than 5,000 volunteers in Miami-Dade and launch your own event to remind the community about options to panhandling. This Tool Kit (.docx) gives you everything you need to know to get started. And look at how exciting these events can be!
- Host a school or community discussion on homelessness. The Trust has a curriculum we are happy to share.
- Offer your business or community organization access to Homeless Helpline cards. We can get a cardholder to you, along with cards that provide easy reference to our Helpline number.
- Call our organizing team and brainstorm programs that are tailor-made for your organization or school.
- Adopt a Britto meter and be recognized publically for your participation.
For more information, email HADmiami@gmail.com.
How to Volunteer
When it comes to helping the homeless get on their feet, we have a job for you! The Miami-Dade County Homeless Trust has teamed up with Neighbors 4 Neighbors volunteer matching website Helping Feels Good to connect volunteers with homeless needs. Want to mentor a student? Read to a toddler in a shelter? Paint a building? Rent an apartment unit to someone looking to make a fresh start? Donate items? We will get you started. Take just five minutes to fill out a form stating that your interest is in helping the homeless. Then we will connect you immediately to homeless-related needs and projects.
Hiring the Homeless
Project HOPE (Homeless Outreach Program for Employment) is a great first stop if you are interested in the admirable step of hiring a homeless person. Operated by Jewish Community Services of South Florida, Project HOPE will walk you through the steps necessary to get started on a search for the right person or persons for a job. No job is too big for Project HOPE. Contact them today: 305-403-6549.
Back to Top Page Last Edited: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:11:12 PM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.