Miami-Dade County Homeless Trust Announces Winners of its Annual Homeless Awareness and Sensitivity Poster and Essay Contest
June 12, 2020 - Eight (8) Miami-Dade County Public School students ended their school year as winners of the 2020 Homeless Awareness and Sensitivity Poster and Essay Contest. The students, along with their teachers and liaisons, were awarded gift card ranging from $125 to $200. The Miami-Dade County Homeless Trust organized a live-streamed video call to congratulate the winners on their last week of classes. The audience of students, teachers and family members were joined by hosts Ron Book, Chairman of The Homeless Trust, Victoria Mallette, Executive Director of the Trust, Debra Albo-Steiger, Director of Outreach for MDCPS’ Project UP-START, as well as emcee Kimmy B from HITS 97.3 FM.
This year, the Trust received over 200 submissions from many talented student artists and writers across Miami-Dade County Public Schools. The winning students showed a clear understanding of the Homeless Trust’s values and core messaging in their writing and artwork.
Winners and their Homeless Liaison Coordinators, each take home a gift card for outstanding execution of their artwork or essay. Elementary and middle school poster winners will have their artwork displayed in the historic Dunns Josephine Hotel located in Historic Overtown. The hotel was the Homeless Trust’s first Isolation and Quarantine location for persons experiencing homelessness, and recovering from, or suspected of, COVID-19.
The 2020 Homeless Awareness and Sensitivity Poster and Essay Contest Winners are:
Elementary School Poster Contest Winner
- Alexa Augsten, 4th grader from Coral Reef Elementary
Middle School Poster Contest Winners
- Sophia Deleon, 8th grader from Norland Middle School- 1st place
- Hayley Blanc, 7th grader from Carol City Middle School- 2nd place
- Alysha Batres, 8th grader from Ruben Dario Middle School- Runner-up
- Camila Moreno, 7th grader from Eugenia B. Thomas K-8 Center- Runner-up
High School Essay Contest Winners: Never Experienced Homelessness
- Wilson Shi, 11th grader from Alonzo and Tracy Mourning High School- 1st place
High School Essay Contest Winners: Lived Homelessness Experience
- April Saavedra, 11th grader from Alonzo and Tracy Mourning High School- 1st place
- Chyna Hicks, 10th grader from M.A.S.T.@Homestead High School- 2nd place